Just me trying to be honest with God.

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

“Most people are bothered by those passages of Scripture they do not understand, but the passages that bother me are those I do understand.' Mark Twai

“Therefore anyone who sets aside one of the least of these commands and teaches others accordingly will be called least in the kingdom of heaven...” Jesus

When I decided to accept the Lordship of Christ, I also decided to accept the teachings of the Bible for no other reason than Jesus instructed His followers to do so. One decision necessarily follows the other. This is not without its difficulties and Jesus even assured me that I would have them if I choose to follow Him. One cannot surrender to Christ and then take up arms against Him when His teachings rub you the wrong way. There is no question that certain passages disturb me and I would do without them as I would any discomfort but Christ has not left His followers that option. What He does leave us is His Spirit living inside us, to enlighten, encourage and enable us to trust His wisdom, the very wisdom to interact with us through the sacred texts. Is it not in struggle that we are born, grow and become? Conversations Within ts 3/21/2012 (Selma, AL)