Just me trying to be honest with God.

Thursday, March 1, 2012

“Vanity plays lurid tricks with our memory.” Joseph Conrad

"For what we proclaim is not ourselves..." 2 Corinthians 4

I often remember things bigger and better where my involvement was concerned. I tend to exaggerate my role in the scheme of things. What is this need we have to impress others or be impressed with ourselves? C. S. Lewis put it this way. "The pleasure of pride is like the pleasure of scratching. If there is an itch, one does want to scratch; but it is much nicer to have neither the itch nor the scratch.” We are so much happier when we stop thinking about ourselves and simply enjoy that life in and around us. Grace would teach us to move from being a spectator to actually playing the game, and then to enjoy playing not keeping score. Conversations Within ts 2/24/2012 (Between, GA )