Just me trying to be honest with God.

Monday, October 10, 2011

“The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.” George Bernard Shaw

‘We played the flute for you, and you did not dance; we sang a dirge, and you did not mourn.’ Jesus

If I am not careful, I may not hold up my end of a conversation by listening to others when they are talking. I often find myself thinking about what I want to say next while they are speaking. Good communication not only involves listening and talking but the concerted effort to make sure we have heard the other person correctly and also, that they heard us correctly. The only way I know to do this is to repeat to others what I have heard them say and ask them what they have heard me say. It would be a mistake to assume on either side when we can simply clarify by saying, “This is what I heard you say,” and asking, “what did you hear me say.” Now, what did you hear me say? 10/3/11 Conversations Within ts (Watson Mill, GA)