Just me trying to be honest with God.

Monday, November 1, 2010

'If there is an itch one does want to scratch... As long as we have the itch of self-regard we shall want the pleasure of self-approval...” C. S. Lewi

'If there is an itch one does want to scratch... As long as we have the itch of self-regard we shall want the pleasure of self-approval...” C. S. Lewis

“And if anyone does not stumble in what he says, he is a perfect man, able also to bridle his whole body. “James 3 ESV

Learning self-control may very well begin with something as simple as bridling our tongue. Sometimes when I am on the verge of saying something, that quiet Voice within encourages me not to say it. When He does, I am always amazes at how hard it is for me to hold my tongue once I have thought of something I want to say. Just yesterday I was going to say something to a friend and felt the Spirit's hand on my shoulder prompting me not to say it. Later, I wanted to tell Brenda what I was going to say and again I felt the same encouragement to keep my mouth closed. I inwardly argued back that all I wanted to do was talk to my wife about it. And, as conversations within often go, I distinctly heard, “Why? What will it profit.” It dawned on me that I did not want to share something with my wife for her profit but to scratch some itch I was having just to talk. Perhaps if I learn to say no to talking I may learn to say no to other itches that want to be scratched. I think I have spiritual poison ivy! 10/28/2010 Conversations Within ts (Gunterhill)