Just me trying to be honest with God.

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Reason is our soul's left hand, Faith her right. ~John Donne

“…that your faith might not rest in the wisdom of men but in the power of God. 1Co.2 ESV

To say that faith rests on the power of God, not to say that we don’t use reason. God’s power is most reasonable because it is the most concrete thing there is. What the apostle does mean is that it is God’s power creates and sustains our faith not human wisdom. Oh, God may certainly use reasoning processes to lead us to faith even strengthen it but faith itself is His gift to us; He creates it not we. And, it is a free gift as all gifts are. My word processor just told me that I was being unnecessarily redundant when I wrote “free gift,” and that I should only say “gift.” Point taken. But even though the gift is free, we can misuse it, or not use it at all. But once we dare put it to use, all things are possible. 7/30/2010 Conversations Within ts