Just me trying to be honest with God.

Monday, August 30, 2010

“Sit still. Stop thinking.” Aleister Crowley, Eight Lectures on Yoga

“But I have calmed and quieted my soul...” Ps.131 ESV

No Christian should hesitate borrowing from other religions if what is borrowed is wholesome, and true. After all, Christians do not believe that everything other religions believe and practice is false. For instance, I find sitting still and quieting the mind spiritually profitable just as I find yoga physically so. Indeed, learning to quiet the soul is downright essential if I am to silence the loud voices of this world and center myself around those things that really matter and, if sitting in a lotus position and breathing deeply facilitates this, why not. Of course one can do it sitting in chair just as well. What good is all our knowledge about God and life in Christ if we do not know where begin to access it, especially when life starts to smothers out His peace. Learning to quiet the soul is an essential first step in listening to Him. But this is where our practice goes beyond some of our Buddhist friends. We do not seek only to quiet the soul, to melt into the universe or into nothingness. We quiet the soul to hear God speak. He is life and health and peace not an empty state of mind. 8/24/2010 Conversations Within ts