Just me trying to be honest with God.

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

“I must stand on my head, I must stand on my head!” Ebenezer Scrooge (A Christmas Carol)

“The LORD is merciful and gracious, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love. Ps.103 ESV

What comes to mind when you think of Ebenezer Scrooge? Most people associate his name with greed when in fact he is said to have become a model of kindness and generosity. Call someone a scrooge and people will think them greedy not generous. People tend to remember the negative stuff. My daughter remembers that I once spanked her over a bag of potato chips she left open. We laugh about it now, but it is hard for humans to forget the bad. The Scripture records several instances where God expressed terrible anger. These moments sort of stick with us and because of our tendency to remember the bad instead of the good we might think of God as being inclined toward wrath. Actually God is “slow to anger.” Even a casual glance at His dealing with sinful people everyday reveals that it takes a great deal to provoke Him. If we really want to know what God is like, we need only to look into the face of Jesus. 9/17/2010 Conversations Within ts