Just me trying to be honest with God.

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

"There lives more faith in honest doubt, believe me, than in half the creeds." Alfred Lord Tennyson

“The LORD is near to all who call on him, to all who call on him in truth.” Ps.145 ESV

An atheist friend once told me that if there is a God, surely people would fair better at judgment for not believing because they were trying to be intellectually honest than people who believed in God only to escape punishment. My friend's statement essentially says that there is value in testing the sincerity of ones beliefs. I think trying to be intellectually honest or sincere, may for non-believer be one of the most Christian things a they do. Jesus say the God seeks people who worship in spirit and truth. But if there is truth and I meant truth with a capital “T,” being sincere may not be enough. It isn't when a climber puts faith in a frayed rope; sincerity will matter little if the rope breaks. But I somewhat agree with my atheist friend though, it may just be that an honest faith expressed in honest doubt is closer to the kind of faith God seeks than a person who simply pretends to believe just to hedge a bet. 9/23/2010 Conversations Within ts