Just me trying to be honest with God.

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

If suffering has a purpose, a part of it must be to help wean us from all things temporal.

“Set your affections on things above...” Paul (after he was given a glimpse of life after this life.)

I love life and I love it so much I could do it forever. This not to say that I would want to live forever in this place of suffering and death. I suppose I am grateful that God has restricted life in our present state. From a Christian point of view, it was one of His kindest acts to assign death to our earthly existence simply so we would not live forever in this messed up world and and also just as messed ourselves. I get the impression that this place has been condemned and is unfit for life as He intends. This is why so much is said about setting our affections that other place yet not to be “so heavenly minded that we are no earthly good.” One person observed and I think rightly so that “those who do the most for this world are those who think most of the next.” Suffering focuses our energies on precisely that. Suffering is one way God helps wean us off of what is passing and encourages us to live for things that will never pass. Conversations Within ts 1/17/2012 (Camp Farrington Al)